At this point in our trip preparations I am flipping between being totally excited about heading off and the places we will see, the time we will have to spend all together and the adventure of it all, or like today – totally freaking out about what on earth we have gotten ourselves in for!!
I know I am a stressor and an over thinker. I know we are heading off on the 1st of June no matter what and that our reasons for doing our trip are important to us. But I’m worried and just a bit scared and nervous. Not helped by the fact that today the kids were little terrors – misbehaving, fighting and making so much mess!
So here’s my ‘worry list’. I’m concerned ……………………………………
- About how on earth we are going to get our 1 acre block, 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 5 person house all packed up and cleaned in time.
- That we will be so freezing cold and miserable for the first few months of our trip as we are heading off in the middle of winter. I’m worried our sleeping bags won’t be warm enough and nor will our clothes!
- About our kids thinking that life is just one big holiday and not knowing the value of hard work! I’m sure with all the camping/travelling we have done with them it seems like all we do is go on holidays!
- I feel a bit guilty, that maybe we don’t deserve this trip. Some people work their whole lives before they get to go off on an adventure like ours.
- I’m worried that after 8 years of shift work and crossing paths like ships in the night most of the time, that Matt and I won’t know how to spend so much time together anymore!
- About the kids fighting ALL of the time and driving us all nuts!
- That we haven’t had enough experience with 4-wheel driving or travelling in remote areas. I’m not sure what we are in for! We really wish we had of joined a four wheel drive club a year ago.
- That by probably getting to the Kimberley in August we have left it to late and won’t get to see the true beauty of that area.
- I’m worried about leaving behind all the great friends and community we have here in Brisbane and not finding anything like that again! It has taken us this long to finally start feeling like we belong!
- About the kids schooling and that we won’t do enough with them while we are travelling and they will get too far behind and have to repeat a year.
- I love routine and organising. I’m not sure I will like not having that.
- That something major will break down on the trip or on our house that we are renting which will throw our whole budget for the trip out!
- About our little car not selling and having to offload it for whatever we can get, therefore significantly reducing our fuel budget for the trip.
- That we are not going to fit everything in the 20ft container we have ordered to store our house.
- I’m worried that our dog is losing his marbles and is going to be a burden on those who look after him for us.
And there are so many more little silly things but those are the main ones! What on earth are we thinking doing this trip?!?!
I’m taking myself off to bed, I am sure it will all seem better in the morning and hopefully in a few months I can laugh at all these worries.
Nothing Great is Easy, Nothing Great is Easy, Nothing Great is Easy …………………………………..